Career In Disability Rehabilitation & Special Education
04-11-2018 17:05:35 9675
There are multiple subjects and disciplines of study with their own distinct features. Each one of these subjects has some association with human beings.
But there is one subject which is completely about human beings. Yes, we are talking of Disability Studies which includes Disability Rehabilitation and Special Education. This is a career field most suited for those who have a passion for teaching and love as well as concern for persons with disabilities (Divyangjan).
Disability rehabilitation and Special education can be understood as personalized training and schooling given to persons with diverse disabilities, whether locomotor disability, visual impairment, hearing impairment, chronic neurological conditions, persons affected with blood related disorders, developmental disorders, mental illness or multiple disabilities. Persons with disabilities require training and instruction by specially trained professionals. The field offers different career opportunities- including teaching and instruction, as well as curriculum development for children with disabilities and adults. A Rehabilitation professional or Special education teacher is one who is specially trained to teach and interact with children and youth who have a variety of disabilities. The various types of disabilities that require services of rehabilitation professional or special education trained personnel include locomotor disability, visual impairment, hearing impairment, chronic neurological conditions, persons affected with blood related disorders, developmental disorders, mental illness and multiple disabilities. Children with these disabilities are unable to learn in a traditional classroom environment. Special education classes can provide an alternative or better learning experience for these students.
Rehabilitation professionals and Special education teachers work for persons with locomotor disability, visual impairment, hearing impairment, chronic neurological conditions, developmental disorders, mental illness and multiple disabilities. They teach and provide them basic rehabilitation services including literacy, independent living skills and communication skills. The work of special education teacher can be emotionally demanding and physically draining. Many students with mental or emotional disabilities can cause frustration for a teacher. A special education teacher should also have a solid understanding of human psychology and emotions.
Population of Persons with Disabilities in India
According to Census 2011, there are 2.68 million Persons with Disabilities in India (who constitute 2.21 percent of the total population). Out of the total population of Persons with Disabilities, about 1.50 million are male and 1.18 million female. These include persons with visual, hearing, speech and loco-motor disabilities; mental illness, mental retardation, multiple disabilities and other disabilities. The percentage of persons with disabilities in the USA is 12%, in the UK is and Hearing Disabilities at Mumbai; Swami Vivekanand National Institute of Rehabilitation Training and Research at Cuttack; National Institute for Empowerment of Persons with Multiple Disabilities at Chennai; Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre at New Delhi; National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences at Bangalore; All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Mumbai; All India Institute of Speech and Hearing at Mysore; Central Institute of Psychiatry, Ranchi and Composite Regional Centre for Persons with Disabilities (CRCs) at Srinagar, Bhopal, Lucknow, Guwahati, Sundernagar, Patna, Ahmedabad, Kozhikode, Devengere, Nellore, Rajnandgaon, Nagpur, Ranchi and Tripura are among well known institutions for higher studies and research in subjects related to disability studies.
Places of Study for Regular Courses
In addition to approximately 700 RCI recognized training institutions throughout India some of these well known universities are conducting regular courses in Disability Studies such as:
Places of Study for Open & Distance Learning Mode
- Banaras Hindu University at Varanasi;
- Dr. Shakuntala Misra National Rehabilitation University at Lucknow;
- King George's Medical University at Lucknow;
- S.N.D.T. Women's University at Mumbai;
- Panjab University at Chandigarh;
- Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya at Bilaspur;
- Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University at Raipur;
- Gujarat Forensic Sciences University at Gandhinagar;
- Sardar Patel University at Anand;
- Kurukshetra University at Kurukshetra;
- Andhra University at Vishakhapatnam;
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar University at Srikakulam District;
- Himalayan University at Itanagar Dist;
- Arunachal University of Studies at District Lohit;
- Magadh University at Gaya;
- Amity University at Lucknow;
- Shree Guru Gobind Singh Tricentenary University at Gurgaon;
- University of Kashmir at Srinagar;
- Manipal University at Manipal;
- Calicut University at Malappuran;
- Swami Vivekanand University at Sagar;
- People's University at Bhopal;
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University at Aurangabad;
- Jai Narain Vyas University at Jodhpur;
- Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda at Coimbatore;
- Shri Ramchandra University at Chennai;
- Kalaslingam University in Tamilnadu;
- Alagappa University at Karaikudi (Tamilnadu);
- Mother Teresa Woman's University at Kodaikanal Dindigul District, (Tamilnadu);
- ICFAI University, Tripura (West);
- Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University at Chitrakoot;
- M.J.P. Rohilkhand University at Bareilly;
- Gautam Buddha University at Gautam Budh Nagar;
- Shobhit University at Meerut;
- Sanskriti University at Mathura and Calcutta University at Kolkata.
In addition to regular courses there are some State Open Universities wherein training courses through Open & Distance Learning mode in Special Education in collaboration with RCI is being conducted, which are
- Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University, Bhopal;
- Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University at Allahabad;
- Netaji Subhash Open University at Kolkata;
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University at Ahmedabad;
- North-Eastern Hill University at Shillong;
- Tamil Nadu Open University at Chennai;
- Karnataka State Open University at Mysore;
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University at Hyderabad;
- Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University at Nashik;
- Vardhman Mahaveer Open University at Kota and
- Uttarakhand Open University at Nainital.
Disability is a research oriented subject offering ample scope for higher study and research. Opportunities for research are available at CRCs, specialized National Institutes and Universities in India and abroad. To pursue a Ph.D., one needs to fulfill UGC requirements. Research rehabilitation professionals use scientific methods to build on available studies, collect data, examine results and then report findings in their research thesis/paper.
Traits for success
To have a successful career as Rehabilitation Professional the required traits are keen observation, willingness to help people, strong communication skills, analytical ability, patience and perseverance among others. One also requires a basic sensitivity towards people with disabilities and need to be ethical in approach. All such skills and traits can be developed with positive and sincere efforts. Disability Studies in an area in which you derive satisfaction in helping persons with disabilities to lead good, balanced and peaceful life, overcome mental problems and enrich people's social, family and workplace relationships. In general it is not a career of fancy designations and regular promotions. Therefore, if the subject genuinely interests you, only then you will enjoy your work and career in disability studies. However, your graduate qualification with disability studies will work for other jobs like banking, civil services, normal school teacher etc as well.
- Dev Nandan Kumar & Dr. Tanu Tandon